Monday 31 December 2012

01.01.13 Happy New Year!

4 days to go

Sorry for no blog posts over the last couple of days but nothing much has been happening except for a run yesterday.  Of course it was New Years Eve last night and while most of you may have been partying and enjoying yourselves, I was one of those people who was in bed before midnight, completely sober of course.

I wanted to do a light run the other day but unfortunately my GPS device no longer works after my crash the other week.  Due to that, I wanted to know how far I was going to go so decided to do the same run that I did the other day.  I knew that it was a 12.9km run so would see if there were any major increases in performance.  I woke up and was ready to rugby 7:30am.  While I was getting ready I looked at my running gear and decided to opt for my racing suit instead.  I saw it as another opportunity to get used to the suit and know if I needed to make any adjustments to it before race day.  I put it on, filled up one drink bottle and grabbed a gel on the way out.

As I started to run I was feeling quite good and managed to get into a good rhythm early.  I was on a Americas cup yacht about a month ago and was one of the grinders in a race against another boat.  You rotated your arms around Ian circular motion to grind the sail up and the rhythm and motion I was performing felt very comfortable.  When I felt like my cadence was slowing I focused on my arm rotation and my legs would speed up.

 It was hot already and I was looking forward to seeing how I would go in the heat.  I ran to the turnaround point and was feeling amazingly good.  I was going to take the gel to see how it would impact me for the return 6km but was feeling so god so decided not to use it.  I looked down at my watch and I was flying.  I hit the bottom of the street and was 15 minutes ahead of my time the other day with only a couple of kilometres to go.  I was pushing the last couple of hills and hit the house 3 minutes ahead of my time.  3 minutes doesn't sound like a lot but at my speed, that is about 3/4 of a kilometer in distance which ends up a lot.  Anyway, at the end of it all I felt good.  It also felt good that there was no more exercise to take place until race day.  The preparation had been done and now it was time to relax and get ready with the other elements of the race including a last check of the bike and my nutritional needs.  More about that tomorrow though...

No comments:

Post a Comment