Tuesday 7 August 2012

05.08.12 Back on the bike

After my efforts in the past week and the success of my run yesterday, I am keen to dust off my bike and go for a ride.  I have not ridden my road bike for at least 1.5 years.  I commit to going for a ride by dusting the bike off (literally), pumping up the tyres, and getting my gear ready for my ride on Sunday morning.  What better way to stretch my legs out after yesterdays 13.5km run than a nice gentle 80km ride up to the top of Paekakariki Hill!!!

Not the smartest first ride to do I know but the day has turned out to be a cracker and although I live at the same height as the top of the hill and I will basically be coming down my hill, along a long flat and then up to the top of Paekakariki Hill.  I start the ride and am looking forward to the ride.  I get to the base of the hill in around 50 minutes and begin the 35 minute climb to the top.  3/4 of the way up the hill and I am searching for gears that are not there.  It is at this point that I wish I had my mountain bike!!!  I keep climbing and am surprised that my legs feel as well as I do.  Before I know it I come around a corner and see clear blue sky.  I continue along the ridge until the summit where there is a lookout.  The view is amazing up there and so I take the opportunity to take some snaps.  It is hard to see but in the first and the second photos below you can just see the South Island and the snow capped mountains.






After a quick rest, I jump back on the bike and begin my decent.  I start passing people who are making the climb up to the top of the hill and I am glad that I am on my way home.  As I hit the flat ride home, my ass is starting to hurt and when I say hurt, it is bloody killing me.  It has been a while since I have ridden and I am not used to it.  I am a long way from home (about 30km's) and I now realise that this is going to be one uncomfortable ride home.

I am actually looking forward to any hill on my way home because it means that I will at least be able to get out of my seat.  About 10km's later I am getting out of my seat regardless if there is a hill or not.  Around 50 minutes after descending the hill eventually make it through the last town before the long climb back home.  Not only is my bum killing me but my whole body is hurting.  There is a coffee shop that I normally stop at and I start dreaming of a nice latte but the other voice in my head says, "Just end the pain!"  I eventually make it near the top when another rider slowly goes past me and yell's "C'mon".  I look up at him and tell him, "I am gone, and I still have to go up that hill yet," as I point towards the hill of death.  He laughs and I carry on and begin the last climb of the day.  Normally I would not look forward to this hill especially after this long ride but it is at least 10 minutes of not being in the saddle so I am looking forward to it.  I am half way up the Hill of Death and a guy washing his car looks at me and says "You will make it to the next Olympics".  I finally make it home and am absolutely gone but drop the bike off and pull on the Vibram Five Fingers and go for a warm down run to loosen the legs.  I am pretty happy with what I have achieved this weekend, I am seriously back and my journey to my Half Ironman in January has finally begun.
Ride to Paekakariki Hill




Ride home from Paekakariki Hill


No comments:

Post a Comment