Monday 4 June 2012

03.06.12 That snapping sound didn't sound good!!!

I wake up on Sunday and want to go for a run.  These Vibram shoes must be working as I normally would not want to go for a flat run but it was a reasonably good day in Wellington and I thought I would take advantage of it with a huge 6km run!!  I have been doing around 4km in my previous runs and I felt that it was time to increase it slightly so wanted to do around 6km.  After a light breakfast and a coffee, I got changed and slipped on my Vibram's.  Probably not the best nutritional start before a run but it was only a short one so was not too concerned.  I devised a course in my head that would probably be around 6km.  I ran from the house and as I started down the road I heard a snap of some kind come from my right ankle.  This is the same snap that I sometimes hear when I wake up from bed.  I have sprained this ankle on numerous times running through the bush and when it is cold it is really stiff and sometimes creaks whilst it gets warmed up.  I was a little concerned this time though as I was running with little protection and thinking to myself, what if it's not my ankle, what if something else had snapped?  I ran down the slight decline and after a while it felt better but also felt like it could giveaway at any moment.  I decided to keep going and if it got worse would walk back home.  I hit a slight hill before running down to the main road and my ankle was feeling good.  I saw a path that I had not noticed before and ran up it to find a school oval.  I ran onto the grass which was a welcome change to the concrete I had been pounding.  Whilst I could feel the soft grass through my Vibram shoes, it was not a sense of relief I was feeling.  I was not grateful to finally have soft ground under my feet, it just felt nice.

I made it back onto the main road and as I was running on the footpath, I noticed another runner on the other side of the road who had just gone past me.  I decided that I would see how my pace was going compared to her and frustratingly, she was pulling away from me with ease.  I felt disheartened but quickly realised that it was not my Vibram shoes that was stopping me from catching her, even in normal shoes I stood no chance.  I hit the flat section of road and was running through town.  I was still feeling good and had no further pain in my ankle.  I looked at my watch and saw that I had done just over 4km so  by the time I reached home I should hit the 6km mark.  I began my climb home up the steep gradient I again noticed how upright my running style was.  I finally made it home and had completed 5.9km.  A little less than what I wanted to do but after the initial scare with my ankle, I was glad that I had not pushed it too much.  I had a stretch and started my day with a deep inside feeling hoping my ankle was going to be okay tomorrow.  Below is the graph of today's run.  Notice the constant heart rate today and the constant speed.


No comments:

Post a Comment